Board of Commissioners
Powers and Duties of the Board of Commissioners
The Board advises the State Appellate Defender and may, subject to rules of the Supreme Court, recommend policies for the operation of the office of State Appellate Defender. It has the responsibility to approve or modify an operational budget submitted to it by the State Appellate Defender and set the number of employees each year.
The State Appellate Defender submits reports to the Board on the operation of his office at each semi-annual meeting. He also submits a comprehensive report to the Board at the end of each fiscal year.
Composition of the Board
The Board consists of nine members appointed as follows:
- A chairman appointed by the Governor;
- One member appointed by the Supreme Court;
- One member appointed by each of the five Appellate Courts;
- One member appointed by the Supreme Court from a panel of three persons nominated by the Illinois State Bar Association;
- One member appointed by the Governor from a panel of three persons nominated by the Illinois Public Defender Association.
Meeting Minutes of the Board of Commissioners
Meritorious Service Awards
This award is given to former board members in recognition for their dedicated service on the Board of Commissioners for the Office of the State Appellate Defender.